Thursday, January 27, 2022

LET'S MAKE' EM HERE!


 https://news.yahoo.com/officials-boom-aims-build-supersonic-172318684.html

Some years back when I read in myriad places that the US has stopped manufacturing things due to high cost of labor and has farmed it all out to China, becoming instead a service economy, I shook my head before I gave a grimace. 

US a service economy? I come from the Middle East. So, I know many cultures including the Far East, have all sorts of niceties and manners and so on. Perhaps not honest but other people in the world know how to give service. Direct, mannerless, crude Americans making a service economy?! Not a talent we have. 

On the other hand, we have made things and made them well. When I was visiting Iran in 2009, while the country was under sanctions, I made sure to look at every item I came across. Toilet? Made in Iran. Toothpaste? Made in Iran, and so on. This not only gave factory workers income, large swath of the masses, who support the Mullahs, but made Iran pretty self-sufficient. We, on the other hand, took the jobs of our masses and send them abroad so that big corporations can make more money for the top brass. And so they elected Donald Trump! 

I am very happy to see in the news that we are beginning to make our own planes, our own chips, not potato! We make things well, we should make our own stuff, not because Covid or something similar can disrupt our supply chains and economy, although that is valid, but because we need to be self-sufficient when it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT TIME WOMAN!

I was extremely critical of this extremely privileged Arab woman, a human rights lawyer, for not speaking out against the genocide in Palest...