Sunday, December 19, 2021

IF I'M IN THIS COMPANY, LET ME STAY

 


https://www.amazon.com/Turkish-Delight-Jan-Wolkers/dp/1941040470/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2659X92CV2CW2&keywords=turkish+delight+jan+wolkers&qid=1639925729&sprefix=turkish+deligh+jan%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-1

I first came across Jan Wolkers when the New Yorker reviewed the translations of his novel, Turkish Delight. Since it was sexually explicit, I had to read it! I greatly enjoyed it. It turned out to be a wonderful love story with the love-story appropriate tragic ending. So, I googled Jan Wolkers to see what he looked like. It turns out the book is kind of autobiographical. Olga was real; he was also a sculptor and the sculptors he made of her still stand in the Netherlands. Wolkers, as it turns out, is one of the four greatest modern writers in his home country. I looked at Turkish Delight again on Amazon. It got exactly 14 reviews! 14. None of his other works have been translated into English that I could find on Amazon. As I'm currently being ignored or rejected by agents, I feel if I'm in this kind of company, let me stay 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT TIME WOMAN!

I was extremely critical of this extremely privileged Arab woman, a human rights lawyer, for not speaking out against the genocide in Palest...