Monday, May 2, 2022

A PART OF MY YOUTH DIES


https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/01/arts/regine-dead.html

Usually I write about something that has gotten my goat, but today I'm writing from a bit of sadness, a bit of nostalgia. I was too young to go to studio 54 when I first arrived in NYC at 17. It closed before I started going out to nightclubs or rather discotheques. But I went to Regine's often and loved it. I never came across a celebrity there, but had a fun time every time. When I worked at International Promotions, our boss once took the whole office staff there to celebrate us. She was a cool woman, Narissa Bainbridge was. A tough Jamaican who taught me that when you are thrown on your ass by life, you get up, dust off and go on. 

Today, Regine's obituary in The Times reminded me of my youth, those glamorous times, and it seems that with her death a chapter in my life has also closed. I felt the same way when I read Alex of LA's obituary too some time back. Life marches on, no doubt about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT TIME WOMAN!

I was extremely critical of this extremely privileged Arab woman, a human rights lawyer, for not speaking out against the genocide in Palest...